Matrix Brand Ambassador and celebrity colorist Rachel Bodt colored actress Kate Hudson’s signature blonde for the 2021 Met Gala, and celebrity hairstylist Cameron Rains styled it.
We spoke with both Bodt and Rains about how to achieve Hudson’s look. Here’s what they had to say.
TO GET THE COLOR:
- Bodt used a combination of foils and hair painting to create that glamorous but lived-in blonde look. “I did a full head of highlights, starting in the back then working to the front where I did a super detailed hairline using a variation of babylights and then a combination of fine weaves and bigger weaves to create contrast. In between the foils, I balayaged the ends to create brightness.”
- She also used a slightly darker root shadow in the back and a lighter shade around the hairline to create a pop.
- Bodt used all Matrix color, including Light Master Bleach with bonder inside to protect Hudson’s hair and SoColor Color Sync Acidic toners for glossing so it wouldn’t lift her natural color. “I sectioned the hairline out and used color 8A in the back on the roots, 2 parts 10 volume, and 8A small root tap and on the mid-shaft to ends, then I glossed with 10 volume.”
- Bodt finished the look with Total Results Unbreak My Blonde Shampoo, Conditioner and Leave-In Treatment. “A BIG help was also using the Unbreak My Blonde Bleach Finder shampoo because of all the detailing and color that was in there.”
For more information, visit www.matrix.com.
TO GET THE STYLE:
Rains wanted to focus on the simple silhouette of Hudson’s outfit and keep the look clean, polished and streamlined from head to toe. They opted for a fresh ponytail very much inspired by 90’s minimalism and used äz Craft Luxury Haircare to achieve the look.
- First, Rains prepped Hudson’s hair with the äz Craft Luxury Haircare Intense Volume Mist and äz Craft Luxury Haircare Elevate Luxe Mousse. Then, he blow dried her hair with a center part, making sure it stayed flat to the head.
- Next, he added fine extensions through the back to add a bit of volume.
- He then separated the hair into sections and added the äz Craft Luxury Haircare Amplify Texture Hairspray and ironed her hair flat.
- After that, he used a little of the äz Craft Luxury Haircare Sooth Serum to control fluffy flyaway edges.
- Lastly, he pulled back the hair with an elastic and cleaned up any fly-aways with the äz Craft Luxury Haircare Sooth Serum.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.
This blog is for information purposes only. The content is not intended as medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Should you have a medical or dermatological problem, please consult with your physician. None of the information or recommendations on this website should be interpreted as medical advice.
All product reviews, recommendations, and references are based on the author’s personal experience and impressions using the products. All views and opinions are the author’s own.
This blog post may contain affiliate links. An affiliate link means we may earn a commission if you click on a link and make a purchase, without any extra cost to you.
Please see our Disclaimer for more information.