MODERN SALON launched its first–and an industry first– MODERN SALON Independent Bootcamp on November 8, 2021, at the Academy LA in Hollywood, CA.
This one-day event was developed for those beauty professionals who are creating their career as a solo artist, within a suite setting, or as a renter within a salon. While they love being independent – a solopreneur—independents say they also need to engage in community, make connections, and get advice from industry experts and coaches. MODERN SALON provided this and more, with an impactful and action-oriented day that concluded with cocktails and conversation under the Hollywood evening sky.
“The salon industry and beauty professionals have weathered some really rough and rocky seas for nearly two years,” says Anne Moratto, Director of Content Strategy for MODERN SALON, NAILS and the newly-launched BARBERING TODAY. “Every sponsor of this event and of our amazing gift bag, every speaker who prepared a presentation, every panelist who took time away from clients and content creation, they all said ‘yes’ when we asked if they would come and share their considerable talents with us.”
Another first was receiving certification from Green Circle Salons to identify the event as carbon neutral. To help MODERN offset the emissions of the venue, catering, logistics and the many miles traveled, Green Circle Salons invested in projects, like tree planting, to make the entire program Certified Carbon Neutral Education.
The event schedule included:
- Planning for a Sound Financial Future & Life After the Salon: Financial Literacy with Virginia Nersesyan of Transamerica Financial Advisors;
- Marketing Fitness: Build Your Social Media Muscles with Amber Marie Compian of All Dolled Up
- Step Up & Stand Out: 6 Steps to Polarizing: Stand Out, Grow Fast and Dominate on Social Media with Britt Seva of Thrivers Society
- Having Confidence in Your Pricing and Setting Healthy Client Boundaries with Joy LaMay and Cyd Charisse of Destroy the Hairdresser
- Working Smarter with Lauren Gartland of Inspiring Champions
- At Ease: Working Towards a Work-Life Balance with Paula Peralta of JPMS and Jamie Dana of Rise Social Academy
PLUS panel discussions on…
- Independent pain points with Sydney Ann Lopez, Jessica Warburton and Sigourney Nunez
- How the industry can move ahead, with Sola Salons’ CMO Jennie Wolff, Greg Daley of Club Beauty Pro Network, salon owner and Rene Furterer Ambassador John Vella, Amy Goei of Green Circle Salons, and salon owner Marco Pelusi.
- Special Guests Ted Gibson and Jason Backe shared the story of WorthUp Alliance, the non-profit they launched, mid-pandemic, to help support stylists and beauty professionals.
Attendees took time to invest in themselves and unlock new learnings for the future of their business.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.
This blog is for information purposes only. The content is not intended as medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Should you have a medical or dermatological problem, please consult with your physician. None of the information or recommendations on this website should be interpreted as medical advice.
All product reviews, recommendations, and references are based on the author’s personal experience and impressions using the products. All views and opinions are the author’s own.
This blog post may contain affiliate links. An affiliate link means we may earn a commission if you click on a link and make a purchase, without any extra cost to you.
Please see our Disclaimer for more information.