Cosmetology is the art and science of beautifying the hair, skin, and nails. It is currently one of the most sought-after careers in the U.S.A today with an average growth of 19%* (*BLS.gov). That is much faster than the average for all occupations. Have you ever wondered what a career in cosmetology looks like?
Cosmetology offers you creative freedom, flexible hours, and the ability to impact others in a meaningful way, all while helping build the confidence of every client you service. The beauty industry is currently one of the most popular topics on all social media platforms making it easy for a cosmetologist to market themselves virtually, exercise their creative genius and potentially make a really popular name for their selves. As a cosmetologist, you will have the opportunity to enhance the world’s beauty one guest at a time.
How do I get started?
To get started, you will need to enroll in a cosmetology school and complete the minimum state-required hours. Depending on your state’s requirements, you then have to test for your state board exam to receive your license. This can be either a written/multiple-choice exam, a hands-on practical exam or, both. Check with your state licensing agency for more information.
What will I learn?
You will learn the necessary tools to successfully pass your state board examinations. In addition to gaining the necessary knowledge to become successful in the industry.
This includes but is not limited to:
Safety and Sanitation
- Difference between sanitation, disinfection, and sterilization
- How to properly disinfect and store all tools and supplies
- How to maintain a clean and safe environment for your guest as well as yourself
Hair Coloring and Bleaching
- Color knowledge fundamentals
- Chemistry of products and why it’s so important
- Lightening hair using hair lightener (bleach)
- Highlights, lowlights, balayage, and single process hair color
- Safety and proper handling of tools
- Using shears, razors, clippers, and trimmers to create all different kinds of haircuts
- Customizing haircuts utilizing texturizing techniques
- Keratin treatments
- Permanent waving
- Chemical relaxing
- Soft curl reforming
- Structure of hair
- Shampooing and blow-drying hair using professional techniques
- Curling using multiple tools
- Straightening hair
- Up-do and formal styling
- Natural hairstyling techniques including not limited to finger waves, twist, locks, hair wraps
- Pin-curls and roller setting
- Anatomy of the skin
- Facial treatments
- Facial waxing
- Makeup application
- See our Esthetics program page for more information.
Manicuring and Pedicuring
- Acrylic Nails
- Gel Nails
Building Your Business
- Retail training
- Using social media to brand yourself
- Resumes, cover letters, portfolios
- How to be successful
This is just a glimpse of everything you will learn during your time as a cosmetology student. Your educators will train and support you through this process. They work diligently to be sure you are grasping the information and performing quality work. During your time with Empire Beauty School, you will gain the knowledge, support, and confidence you need to be successful in your new role as a cosmetologist. So what are you waiting for?
Join us as a cosmetology professional today and never work another day in your life.
A career in beauty may be right for you! For more information about Empire Beauty School, or how to enroll, please text BEAUTY to 227337 or click – https://bit.ly/LearnMoreAtEmpire
This blog is for information purposes only. The content is not intended as medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Should you have a medical or dermatological problem, please consult with your physician. None of the information or recommendations on this website should be interpreted as medical advice.
All product reviews, recommendations, and references are based on the author’s personal experience and impressions using the products. All views and opinions are the author’s own.
This blog post may contain affiliate links. An affiliate link means we may earn a commission if you click on a link and make a purchase, without any extra cost to you.
Please see our Disclaimer for more information.